If you have been arrested for a DUI, you know how overwhelming this situation can be and how intimidating the law is. It is important to understand that a DUI charge is not a conviction and you should do everything possible to fight it. One of the first steps you should take is to seek aggressive legal representation to protect your rights and help you navigate the complexities of the justice system. Indiana treats these charges seriously and even a first-time conviction can pack some serious penalties.
For first-time DUI convictions, the penalties in Indiana include:
- Administrative license suspension that lasts up to 180 days with a possibility of obtaining a restricted or hardship license
- Required installment of an ignition interlock device in all vehicles
- Possible incarceration of not more than 60 days
- Mandatory alcohol and substance abuse assessment or education
- Fines ranging from $500 to $5,000, based on the offender’s BAC, which does not cover court costs, surcharges, or other expenses incurred as a result of the DUI case
Subsequent convictions will have significantly stricter punishments, including higher fines, longer periods of incarceration, and lengthier license suspensions. A conviction on your record can even present difficulties for individuals seeking a job or housing.
DUI and DWI Defense Attorneys in Indiana
The legal team at Brooks-Stevens, PC has earned its reputation a trusted criminal defense law firm since 1984. We will personally evaluate the circumstances of your DUI arrest, guiding you through every step of the process and answering any questions you might have along the way. Let us use our decades of criminal defense experience to help you obtain the best possible results for your case.
Contact us today at (765) 663-4009 to schedule a free consultation with a skilled member of our legal team.